List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: Solution to RAID /boot issue in fc17?
From:       Bruno Wolff III <bruno () wolff ! to>
Date:       2012-05-31 16:17:29

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 14:43:29 +0100,
   Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:

>Count yourself lucky - if it can only find part of an old RAID volume eg
>a stale header the FC16 installer just crashed. FC17 has introduced a new
>bug where you can't install onto a degraded RAID1 array, which prevents
>all sorts of useful stuff working.

I am pretty sure that has been the case for a long time. I have filed bugs
about that it the past. Arguably there are reasons not to install on a
degraded array as there can problems if this missing element(s) show up
again later. I have also asked for support for creating raid 1 arrays with
one element in the installer as that allows you to add another array element
to the device later with little work. Otherwise you need to do it by hand
(which I have done), but that's easy to screw up on. I don't know if you
can currently install to a previously existing raid 1 array with only one
element.