List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: dns
From:       Tim <ignored_mailbox () yahoo ! com ! au>
Date:       2011-08-20 14:19:07

On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 15:28 +0200, Gergely Buday wrote:
> I have installed a fedora 15. After some fiddling the network started
> to work, but I had to write
>
> namserver ip.add.re.ss
>
> into /etc/resolv.conf manually. The value I got from right-click on on
> the network icon and choosing Connection Information, so I did get it
> automatically, but somehow it did not get through to /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> Two questions:
>
> - why it did not happen?

The first question that springs to my mind was:   *Exactly* what
fiddling did you do to get the network started?

Without that information, we could only guess at what went wrong,
initially.  Then why you had the second problem.

Is the resolv.conf file owned by the right owner, does it have the right
permissions.

Is your computer network settings supposed to be configured by a DHCP
server?  Have you manually set things?

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686