List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: If you wondered why Intel sucks on Fedora read this
From:       "Bryn M. Reeves" <bmr () redhat ! com>
Date:       2009-05-18 17:24:16

On Sat, 2009-05-16 at 21:07 -0700, john wendel wrote:
> Intel finally realized that pipeline flushing was the main thing the
> processor was doing. The "new" (I7) architecture has fixed this problem,
> with very impressive results.

I think you're confusing this with the original Core architecture which
more than halved the number of pipeline stages relative to the later
models in the Netburst family (up to 31 stages for a late-model
Pentium-D, down to just 14 in Core/Core2/Nehalem).

The major change with Nehalem is the on-die memory controller and switch
from FSB to NUMA multiprocessor organisation using the QuickPath
Interconnect (QPI).

Regards,
Bryn.