List:       fedora-docs-list
Subject:    Re: Fedora Server and Fedora System Administration Guide
From:       Peter Boy <pboy () uni-bremen ! de>
Date:       2021-03-20 7:17:40

Hello Petr,

thanks for all the info

> Am 18.03.2021 um 15:04 schrieb Petr Bokoc <pbokoc@redhat.com>:
> I think contributing to existing docs is preferable. However, please
> note that especially the Sysadmin Guide is ancient at this point, it's
> pretty much a copy of the original RHEL 7.0 System Administrator's Guide
> and it has received very few updates over the last few years.

I skipped through both documents a while ago. My impression was, the individual \
chapters are mostly OK, some need a bit of an update. My bigger concern are the \
missing bits and even more the structure of the existing document body. I miss a \
clear intention, the „mission" of the parts in their context. I had the impression \
the guide had been conceptualised at a time when Fedora was a uniform distribution \
and not differentiated into editions. That would be in accordance with the creation \
as RHEL Guide.

I think the biggest change would be an adaptation to the current Fedora deployment \
structure in editions.

An adapted structure could be something like:

- Preface, more or less current content

- Fedora Workstation Administration – in large parts the current Basic System \
Content. The basis is the existence of a GUI, by which the administration is done.

- Fedora Server - largely new, more or less same topics as Workstation, but based on \
CLI and Cockpit, maybe some additional post-Anaconda stuff as security enhancements, \
organising data storage, application installation concepts etc. Or the latter topics \
will be left to the specific Fedora Server documentation, when it ever exists.

- As a wish: Fedora Cloud Images - mainly CLI and cloud-init (Cloud and Server are \
currently discussing areas for possible profitable cooperation).

- Fedora Administration Reference - cross edition topics
— - Service and Daemons
— - OpenSSN
- - TigerVNS (or better part of Workstation chapters)
- - DNF
- - RPM
- - Monitoring & Automation (or better part of Server chapters )
- - Wayland Display Server (or better part of Workstation chapters)

Not sure about the chapter „Servers". Most of it is Server stuff. But currently all \
the special features of the Server Edition are missing. And then there is other \
documentation, such as Web Server in Quick Docs. Both are not really coordinated. For \
now, perhaps it's best to make this a separate guide „Providing Services" or so. \
Smaller portions may be more manageable.

My idea is to establish an adapted structure as soon as possible and first fill it \
with alle the existing content as far as possible, so that you already have a viable \
basis. This can then be updated and expanded in smaller steps. Otherwise, it would be \
a huge task that probably could not be coped with in the foreseeable future given \
current existing resources.

> The
> Installation Guide is in better shape, it's been getting some updates
> and I actually rewrote about a half of it a few years back, but it's
> still not great.

Here there should also be a differentiation in the editions. Many things are the same \
(keyboard, time, source, ...) but important items differ, e.g. disk partitioning.

But the effort is far less, I think. Maybe that would still be feasible for F34.

> With that in mind, you might want to start by reviewing
> both documents and noting what's outdated, what's missing, etc. Any
> updates are welcome.

I am happy to contribute. However, I would like to reach agreement on the structure \
and basic content  in advance, in order not to invest working time possibly in vain.

> Our contributor documentation is at
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora-docs/, it's fairly standard
> stuff - clone the repo, make a PR, all that jazz; it also has some
> pointers on ASCIIDoc. If anyone looking to contribute has any questions,
> they should go ahead and ask in #fedora-docs on FreeNode, or the bridged
> Telegram channel (https://t.me/fedora_docs).

The workflow is a bit unusual for writers. But I'm making progress.

Best
Peter