List:       fedora-docs-list
Subject:    Re: Season of Docs
From:       Petr Bokoc <pbokoc () redhat ! com>
Date:       2019-04-18 10:02:34

On 4/18/19 11:54 AM, Petr Bokoc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm doing this way late late - my bad, I've had a pretty terrible
> April so far with a string of events that made me mostly unavailable.
> In retrospect I should have probably said something sooner :/. We have
> till Tuesday 20:00 UTC, and I think we might still be able to pull
> something off.
>
> Shaun, thank you for offering to be a mentor.
>
> I also contacted the installer team yesterday, asking if anyone would
> like to be a "technical" mentor for the install guide rewrite proposal.
>
> Other than mentors, we'll need two "Organization administrators",
> people who would manage the participation of Fedora in GSoD. Do we
> have anyone? Brian, do you think you could do that? And do we know
> anyone else who might be able to/want to step up? I originally thought
> I'd take one of the spots, but I think I'd be of more use as a mentor,
> and I don't think one person can be both.

Oh, hang on, I just saw another mail from Fedora QE asking about GSoD,
so it looks like we already have that covered. That would make our lives
way easier. I have no idea where this is being discussed at, though, can
anyone point me there? Bex?

> By the way, I can't find this anywhere in the docs: can a single
> mentor offer to mentor multiple projects?
>
> Regarding projects, if we can have the same person (i.e. me) offer to
> mentor multiple projects, then I'd propose the following:
>
> * Refactor or enhance the Fedora Installation Guide by creating
> separately published documents for each Fedora variant
> (Workstation/Server/Cloud), taking advantage of Antora
>
> * Update and enhance current contributor documentation, including
> developing ASCIIDoc markup guidelines and providing a set of ASCIIDoc
> snippets for common text editors (Atom, Vim, Emacs, Gedit)
>
> * Create a documentation set aimed at users completely new to Linux
> and Fedora in particular, focusing on describing alternatives to
> software commonly used on other operating systems (such as web
> browsers, productivity suites, video/music players, image/video
> editing software…), and concepts such as package management and updates
>
> Personally I could mentor any of those, or even offer to mentor all of
> them if that's allowed.
>
> If we manage to agree on something, I can work on making a docs page
> for GSoD over the weekend, I got the flu so I'm not going anywhere
> anyway.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Petr
>

> On 4/4/19 6:26 PM, Brian (bex) Exelbierd wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 5:48 PM Shaun McCance <shaunm@gnome.org> wrote:
> > > I'd like to re-open the conversation about Season of Docs. Here's the
> > We forgot to write on that thread, but it was in irc (terrible comms
> > hygiene - sorry) that Fedora is working on the application for Season
> > of Docs.
> >
> > > https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/docs@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/EPO4ATPUOCUL4NLOWD33KXXQS5HOIV2N/ \
> > >

> > > I'm willing to invest some time into coordinating Fedora's involvement,
> > > whether that's as an actual admin, or just helping the admins here and
> > > there. Here are a few ideas for possible projects:
> > >
> > > * Quick start guides for the different spins
> > >
> > > * Contributor guide
> > >
> > > * Security guide
> > >
> > > * Guides geared toward specific types of server deployments, such as
> > > storage, virtualization, container platform, etc
> > >
> > > * Guide geared toward developers using Fedora as their development
> > > platform, as a developer workstation, as a testing/CI platform, and as
> > > a deployment platform
> > >
> > > Each individual project must have two mentors, which is different from
> > > how GSoC has run. (Maybe they'll change GSoC too.) But, mentors don't
> > > always need to be people who hang out on this list. We should look for
> > > people working on those areas to help mentor. Find a developer working
> > > on Fedora security to help mentor a security guide, for example.
> > It'd be great to see people step up the plate on these ideas. It
> > seems like with Shaun, we need just one more person to get at least
> [...]

Petr Bokoc (irc: pbokoc)
Technical Writer
Engineering Content Services

Red Hat Czech, s. r. o.