List:       fedora-docs-list
Subject:    Re: google season of docs
From:       Leslie S Satenstein <lsatenstein () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2019-03-14 17:43:01

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

My 78 year old opinion with 55plus years of experience.
I started documentation projects with gdoc (IBM 360 days), and later I worked with \
various static command line documentation software tools   such as asciidoc, latex, \
etc. In the end, these command line tools all failed. What did work, was using \
collaboration tools built into graphical WYSIWYG tools. These tools, MS office, \
LibreOffice, WPS, other opensource and non gpl3 software, coupled with git \
repositories, worked efficiently giving the very best results and deliverable on time \
and at minimal cost.  Direct output from WYSIWYG could allow a user to printed a \
file, or to download a pdf.

Every college/university student or other, learned MSoffice or Openoffice or \
LibreOffice. This is what they use   to submit reports or technical papers for \
publication or to his/her professor. In industry, we used one of the mentioned \
WYSIWYG tools to do collaboration. These tools support multi-user collaboration, \
multi-user markups, multi-user comments and master/chapter documents.   The author of \
the "section" could accept/reject or further modify changes and add comments. These \
tools also can generate tables of contents, indexes. It is great for rapid "desktop" \
publishing.

In my 55+ years of experience, when the only tool you have is a hammer, everything \
looks like a nail.     If you have Latex, then you only accept Latex input. If you \
have asciidoc, you only accept asciidoc input.

My Rant,
Where is F29 documentation?   What happened to it's sparsity?   Is asciidoc a tool \
used by recent graduates or others. We learn to use emails which are WYSIWYG and we \
submit proposals the same way.

How many iterations of asciidoc generation followed by minor edits does it take to \
obtain a clean document section?     Who has time for command line work that takes \
10x more effort to produce a clean output?   Check the git log. How many iterations \
of an asciidoc source and update to a git repository did it take to get one section \
right?   And what about spellcheck? I did not see any asciidoc spellcheck or grammar \
tools.   Recently I saw advertisements for Gramarly. Gramarly is a non FOSS WYSIWYG \
tool to check spelling, sentence construction and syntax.   Together, with WYSIWYG, \
what would result is a great reduction of work to produce a more accurate document, \
and to deliver it on time.
In one shop I worked   with msoffice. It was used to produce html output.   We can do \
the same work with LibreOffice.   If asciidoc is an absolute requirement, why not \
evaluate a   WYSIWYG open source LibreOffice output to HTML and HTML to asciidoc? \
WYSIWYG output allows a master document organization as follows:

Master=Document         include   section   1         ==> chapter 1..3 document       \
include section   2             ==> chapter 4 document         .......         \
include Chapter n            ==>   chapter n-end document

I see myself as the tail that is trying to shake up the dog. And since I am not able \
to get others to overcome this hammer/nail situation, I bowed out. I am now only an \
observer to the Documentation project.

My Disappointment with the Documentation Project.
Using WYSIWYG, I spend two hundred hours correcting the Fedora 28 documentation. I \
corrected the grammar, corrected the accuracy, included omissions, and removed   \
non-relevant documentation,   and emailed it to the documentation group. it's gone. \
It became file13 virtual ware.

My idea.
If you want someone to contribute to documentation, they should be able to write as \
easily as I am doing, using this email interface. and then ultimately, if you have \
to, you convert their GUI output to the static asciidoc command line tool format.
Anyone within Fedora wanting to do a WYSIWYG release notes project in parallel with \
using asciidoc?   Let me know. You may have me interested to contribute.

Regards
  Leslie
 Leslie Satenstein
Montréal Québec, Canada

    On Thursday, March 14, 2019, 11:41:56 a.m. EDT, Brian (bex) Exelbierd \
<bexelbie@redhat.com> wrote:
 On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 4:18 PM Petr Bokoc <pbokoc@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 3/12/19 11:54 AM, Brian (bex) Exelbierd wrote:
>

> On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 9:35 AM Robert Kratky <rkratky@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > My personal suggestion is to wait for the program to mature before
> > > volunteering Fedora.
>

> My primary concern is having mentoring support and a well identified set of tasks.  \
> If Petr Bokoc can take charge here then I think we can be successful.   I suspect \
> that, at a minimum, we could have someone come in and do things like refactor the \
> installation guide by edition or review and update docs for the current release.   \
> We should, imho, make sure this person focuses on F30, not F29 as that is what \
> should be current for most if not all of the cycle.
> I am happy to coordinate our application and work with Petr to get it done.
>

> That's my concern as well. Is there anyone here who has experience with GSoC? I \
> know Fedora participated before and I'm wondering about how much commitment an \
> internship like that requires - how much coaching, task tracking, that kind of \
> stuff. Bex, were you involved with that, or do you know who was?

I am happy to serve as the coordinator, as I do (with help) for GSoC
and GCI.   The part I think we need an owner for is tracking tasks and
mentoring.   I haven't reviewed the details, but I presume 2-4 hours a
week at the beginning and less near the end.

> I'm also concerned that any tech writer will need to interact with the wider \
> community, not just us here in docs - someone needs to give them info and \
> preferably do technical reviews as well. We'll need to make sure any relevant \
> engineering people can (and want to) do that if we go forward with this. In case of \
> the install guide I'm worried that the team is basically all Red Hatters and \
> they'll be too busy doing their normal work, but OTOH getting Red Hat engineers to \
> work with us could be easier than making sure someone from the community who only \
> contributes as a hobby will be available for significant amounts of time... I \
> dunno.

This needs to be defined by scope.   I wonder if maybe we should focus
on modularity or another initiative area first.   We could also ask for
docs on contributing to docs and translations to help us build a
bootstrap.

regards,

bex