List:       fedora-docs-list
Subject:    Re: Proposal: Adopt an AsciiBinder Based ToolChain
From:       Jean-Baptiste Holcroft <jean-baptiste () holcroft ! fr>
Date:       2016-09-20 18:50:47

Le 20/09/2016 à 09:47, Brian Exelbierd a écrit :
> Hi All,
>
> I am sorry I missed yesterday's meeting, I am at a conference this week.
>
> I have written a longish proposal
> (http://www.winglemeyer.org/fedora_docs_proposal/latest/proposal/overview.html)
> about adopting an AsciiBinder toolchain.
>
> I've tried to outline the challenges we have today and how I believe
> this will get us a new documentation website and process quickly.  There
> is a Proof of Concept included with details on how you can replicate my
> work.
>
> I'd like feedback and to discuss if we can move forward with this
> proposal.  Can we please use email as travel will also prevent me from
> attending next week's meeting.
>
> regards,
>
> bex
Hi Brian,

I do not understand, isn't Gnome community is going to move from Mallard
to Pintail ?
The first tool has internationalization included http://help.gnome.org
and the second will have it (soon?).

Is AsciiBinder able to handle it or will handle it ? You described in
your documentation how to produce po files, but what about publishing
process ?

po4all is a cool tool (AFAIK created by Debian french team), but will
our user have a global localized experience ?
Easy jump from one language to another, automatic language selection
from one do to another, jumping from page to page without loosing
current language setting, multi-language based search, etc ?

Is there a need to move quickly to that tool instead of waiting (or
helping) Pintail to reach this goal ?
If it can't make internationalized content in the coming month, can't we
find a temporary work-around ?

I tried searching "Target" in https://docs.openshift.com/ it makes a
google research and failed. It also suggest automatic translation from
google... Not very motivating for translators ;)

I do not feel comfortable about this publishing tool, while at the same
time, we had a good Proof of concept of Pintail at GUADEC.
https://media.ccc.de/v/108-unconference-6
It may be just marketing, please tell me :)

Will you convert from docbook to asciidoc every documentation from
Fedora 7 ? I remember someone saying this conversion isn't easy.

At last, did you plan a mechanism to make comments for translator ?
Dummy example with C file :
https://github.com/hughsie/appstream-glib/blob/master/client/as-builder.c#L89

Anyway, to me, the most important is making
update/publish/translate/publish processes easier and smoother.
The work you're doing is really needed and good. It can be this tool or
another, but I just do not understand the move. Sorry for so big email!

--
Jean-Baptiste Holcroft