List:       fedora-docs-list
Subject:    Fw: Lowering the participation barrier for Fedora Docs
From:       Leslie S Satenstein <lsatenstein () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2013-11-20 5:05:03

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

I was delighted to see my name in a previous email. It is an encouragement that I am \
important.

There are a couple of ideas that come to my mind regarding the topic.
.
Can the group move to a facebook/G+/forum/Linkedin approach, where we can "bid" on \
doing documentation, where the docs can be scrutinized by anyone with a \
cellphone/tablet. The writing tool is a partial issue, only chose a software that \
does not always require on-line access.

I am  in  Canada; I don't know if that makes any differences.

By the way, when I write user documentation, I target my audience and their skill \
levels.

I start of course with a plan. My usual plan is to have an introduction to the \
product, and a brief history.

Before beginning chapter 1, I point the reader to a table listing the error messages, \
explaining why the message occurred, and what action the user must take to resolve \
the problem.

An installation and setup guide is in an appendix and then the usage essence of the \
software is up front as chapters. I try to make the "readme file" memorable. If it is \
important,I tell the reader to keep it aside and as he/she will need to refer to it \
during the installation. I also encourage them to read it a few times before jumping \
in.

In this way,the manual becomes both a user document, a reference document and a \
keepsake. I also like to leave aside what I write for 24-48 hours and then proof read \
it again.

So, post the challenges on Linked-in (therein is a Fedora group), do the same on the \
Linux group. Ask the community how they would like to help. If the rejects say maybe \
because I have poor writing skills, just poo poo that and explain that we have some \
editors that will fix the grammar and spellings.  Make the group warm and cozy.

Example. On Linked in post.   We need some writers for  abc, def, ghi, and mno.  Can \
someone take on one topic individually or with a peer and provide a first draft by \
Dec,30,2014.  Can they produce a table of contents?
Post what is open to deliver as a requirement . Offer a beer as the reward the next \
time you can get together, or just offer good friendships.

I would like someone to assign me a topic and a date, I will see if a) I have the \
knowledge to respond, b) if I can do the work in time, or c) I can do it with \
collaboration.

If the work is not fun to do, it won't get done.

Pete, when an employer allows his guy to take his productivity time for IRC,meeting, \
he is lucky. Most can respond to a Forum.

Leslie

PS. Any writing clubs or groups or senior golden-agers who don't know or heard about \
Linux can be targeted too. Many of those members were/are top notch software \
developers. They have brains that they do not want to become rusty. You would be \
surprised at the timelyness and quality of writing that many of these individuals can \
provide.

Our Spanish, Russian, French, Chinese Fedoracans should get the same messsage. I can \
translate French to English, and work with French writers. Who knows how friendships \
can develop. Why does it have to be English First, and the other languages second?