List:       fedora-directory-users
Subject:    =?utf-8?q?=5B389-users=5D?= Compact problem solved with nsslapd-db-locks: 1500000, should i keep it?
From:       murmansk () hotmail ! com
Date:       2021-04-26 12:33:14

We had a problem today, one of our two 389 DS servers hanged showing the errors:

ERR - libdb - BDB2055 Lock table is out of available lock entries
ERR - NSMMReplicationPlugin - changelog program - _cl5CompactDBs - Failed to compact \
db5f7bb9-ab0611e6-9bc8987f-40ec05bf; db error - 12 Cannot allocate memory

We redirected all the queries to our second 389 DS Server and started debugging the \
problem.

It's the second time that this happens to us. We did our homework the first time, \
four months ago, and didn't found any problem.

At that time, we just increased the number of open files and reviewed the \
documentation about tunning nsslapd-db-locks \
(https://access.redhat.com/solutions/3217591). We set the nsslapd-db-locks to 100000 \
as recommended.

But today, with a little more time, we reviewed the documentation about compacting \
the log manually (https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_directory_server/10/html/administration_guide/trimming_the_replication_changelog).

We started to increase the nsslapd-db-locks, first up to 200000, then to half a \
million, and at the end to 1.5 millions.

Every check failed but the last one. We have no error logs (nor an affirmative one), \
but the database file in the 'changelogdb' folder went from 13GB to 2.8GB.

Is it reasonable to keep nsslapd-db-locks so high?