List:       fedora-directory-users
Subject:    =?utf-8?q?=5B389-users=5D?= Replication with SSLCLIENTAUTH: server sent no certificate
From:       "Eugen Lamers" <eugen.lamers () br-automation ! com>
Date:       2019-09-25 14:43:30

I'm trying to setup a replication with a certificate based authentication between \
supplier and consumer. The certificates in the certdb at /etc/dirsrv/slapd-XXX \
contain the very same CA with which the respective server certificates in the certdbs \
have been signed. The certificates all have the 'u' flag, and the CA has the C and T \
flag. The replication (on the supplier) has been setup such that TLS and certificate \
based authentication is used, see extract from the replication agreement object:

objectclass: nsds5ReplicationAgreement
nsds5replicahost: <consumer-hostname>
nsds5replicaport: 389
nsds5replicatransportinfo: TLS
nsds5replicabindmethod: SSLCLIENTAUTH

Trying to initialize the consumer raises this error in the error-log of the supplier \
(the host sending the starttls connection request):  Replication bind with EXTERNAL \
auth failed: LDAP error 48 (Inappropriate authentication) (missing client \
certificate)

The certificate that the server should have sent can, however, be used with the ldap \
commandline tools as ldapsearch. In this case a wireshark trace clearly shows that \
the client sends the certificate during the TLS handshake, while in the above case it \
doesn't.  The TLS handshake defines that the client has to send an "empty \
certificate" if it does not have a certificate that has been issued by a CA offered \
by the server during the handshake. I can't see a reason for the client to think the \
condition isn't met. The certificate with which the server (supplier) is setup is the \
only one available.  Is it possible that the server does not know which certificate \
it has to use for authentication with the consumer server? And if so, how do I make \
the server know?

The 389-ds in use is the version 1.4.1.6~git0.5ac5a8aad. The problem was the same \
with 1.4.0.3.

Thanks,
Eugen