List:       fedora-directory-users
Subject:    Re: [Fedora-directory-users] Fedora Directry as a domain controller
From:       "Josh Kelley" <joshkel () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-03-30 15:21:31

On 3/27/07, Peter Biggerstaff <peter.biggerstaff@healthalliance.co.nz>
wrote:

>  Is it possible to use Fedora DS as a windows PDC? so I can manage windows
> and Linux clients from the same directory?

FDS by itself cannot serve as a Windows PDC; that's well outside the scope
of what it's designed to do.

Samba is designed to service as an (Windows NT 4-style) PDC.  It needs to
store information about Windows users and clients somehow, and FDS makes an
excellent backend for storing this data for Samba.

The Samba HOWTO Collection and Samba-3 By Example (both of which are on
Samba's web site) contain more information about how to set this up.

Josh Kelley