List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: convert everything to rpmautospec?
From:       Petr Menšík <pemensik () redhat ! com>
Date:       2024-04-12 10:27:17

I think missing easy to use documentation is the most missing part of
current rpmautospec package. Manual page does not exist, readme is in
wrong package.

I have proposed to be able to include extra section just for changelog.
I do not remember which exactly way was merged instead, there should be
something use-able. But is not easy to find. Currently just first line
is used as changelog entry. It might be skipped with special tag in
commit, but that is nowhere to be found in documentation present with
the package.

I think simple tags could be used to mark noteworthy changes only for
releases. I think autospec is great, as it especially makes longer term
pull requests easy to merge. Avoiding stupid conflict with changelog
bumps. But I think there is still a lot to improve in usability part.
For many packages without significant function changes it is just fine.
Significant changes should be mentioned in updates or linked bugs,
rather than commit messages. But problem is rawhide automatic updates
contains just changelog and not really anything useful. I find it not
easy to fill this part.

If the project contains changelog, I would recommend it as part of the
package %doc files. It takes extra work to maintain one however. I would
find it nice to generate nice looking update messages from commit, but
current implementation is not sufficient IMO.

Nice looking references to upstream issues or release notes would be
nice too.

--
Petr Menšík
Software Engineer, RHEL