List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: F40 Change Proposal: F40 Change Proposal: Unify /usr/bin and /usr/sbin (System-Wide)
From:       Sérgio Basto <sergio () serjux ! com>
Date:       2024-02-23 18:29:39

On Fri, 2024-02-23 at 12:57 -0500, Stephen Smoogen wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Feb 2024 at 08:04, Sérgio Basto <sergio@serjux.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2024-02-22 at 20:36 -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > > On Thu, Feb 22, 2024 at 8:32 PM Sérgio Basto <sergio@serjux.com>
> >
> > > No. This is one of those many myths about the "Unix FHS". And it
> > > doesn't even matter much these days anyway, since most newer
> > > administrative tools don't install in sbin anyway.
> > >

> > name it one , I'm not aware.
> >
> > Fedora old school (or just me I don't know ) don't use sudo , sudo
> > is a
> > bad idea that came from Ubuntu and turn computer much more insecure
> > ,
> >

> sudo has been part of the Red Hat/Fedora family since Red Hat Linux
> 7.0
> https://archive.download.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.0/en/os/i386/R
> edHat/RPMS/ (2000-09) and had been in powertools since at least
> 5.2 https://archive.download.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/5.2/en/power
> tools/i386/ (1998-11). Both of those dates vastly predate Ubuntu.
> While they had been part of Debian before that they were included in
> Powertools in 5 due to requests for it being used on Unix systems
> which were being replaced with Red Hat Linux. [sudo was already a
> preferred tool in various university and corporate environments
> because it did allow for all kinds of policy decisions which were
> easily updated versus the standard at that time to make a chroot
> wrapper and control via group permissions. Many times these wrappers
> were the most insecure thing on a system. ]

I don't use sudo or my regular user is not in sudo users , sudo is
needed for others things like wheel group and always have been present
in Linux

I mean using sudo and can't login as root or root don't have password ,
like in Ubuntu model and if you are admin you do sudo for everything .

> > since if a regular user is compromised the access to all computer
> > is
> > much more easier .
> >

> https://xkcd.com/1200/

This xkcd is not new for me and made me think, I already stated my
opinion don't want lose much time on this subject

--
Sérgio M. B.