List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: exiv2 and protobuf hard to do soname bump without turbulence
From:       Sérgio Basto <sergio () serjux ! com>
Date:       2024-02-10 0:48:57

On Fri, 2024-02-09 at 16:53 +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 9, 2024 at 4:23 PM Sérgio Basto <sergio@serjux.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to bring to your attention that Fedora would benefit with
> > update of exiv2 [1] and  protobuf [2] but these packages have lots
> > of
> > dependencies and the update of the dependent packages is not
> > trivial .
> > tips, ideas and opinions ? to do these soname updates
> >

> While understandably annoying, last I knew the patent
> issue IRT BMFF was not yet resolved for exiv2 (waiting
> on RH legal).  As I understand it, once the issue is raised,
> one is required to wait for a formal decision to be made,
> and there no time frame for that to occur.
>
> If you are willing to strip the sources of the BMFF support
> until such time as a decision as to whether to allow it
> to be included is made that should be a way forward
> more quickly.

"In order to update Exiv2, we need to know if this is okay to enable
BMFF support. Patents have theorically expired and it is enabled by
default in the latest version."

until isn't clear by legal it should be disabled , if default is enable
,we should disable it and move on , it is not a show stopper

--
Sérgio M. B.