List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Re: A reminder: you cannot just "revert" package version bumps
From:       Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster () gmail ! com>
Date:       2024-02-01 2:08:15

On Thu, Feb 1, 2024 at 1:53 AM Kevin Kofler via devel
<devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> And the proposed "solution" of bumping Epoch fixes none of that. It just
> introduces an Epoch that we will be stuck with forever. It will not
> magically make the downgrade safe in any of the 3 situations you describe.

While I don't like epochs, there is nothing intrinsically
wrong with an epoch bump when a packager
determines that they need to downgrade because
the testing for the upgrade was insufficient or
inadequately performed and the packager found
that there was no way forward with fixes to the
new versions (either from upstream, or by the
packager).

Sometimes the packager (or upstream) screws up,
and  the epoch bump is the "get out of  jail (mostly)
free card" for the packager.

If you don't want a "get out of jail (mostly) free
card", more power to you, for you are committing
to fix any/all issues.  Sometimes not every Fedora
packager has commit access to the upstream
sources.