List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Re: A reminder: you cannot just "revert" package version bumps
From:       kevin <kevin () scrye ! com>
Date:       2024-01-30 20:44:33

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 01:19:18AM +0100, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> Sérgio Basto wrote:
> > yes rawhide user should use dnf distro-sync not dnf upgrade
>
> +1. Rawhide EVRs should be allowed to go backwards, that is an integral part
> of being a development branch.

distro-sync is nice and all, but it's not a silver bullet.
In cases of simple packages a downgrade may not break anything, but in
cases where other things already built upon it, where the new one
changed conguration or interface, or even where the upgrade changed
data, it can leave things in a pretty unfortunate state.

rawhide is a place for people to integrate their upsteam work with
the other working collection of packages. Of course packages upgrade
all the time and you have to adjust and fix your package to continue
to work with them. But if packages could also just downgrade all
the time it would make things much more a 'shifting sands'.

We did recently change this so that releng could untag packages that
went out already if it was judged to be a serious enough matter.

kevin