List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Why I won't run for FESCo
From:       Sérgio Basto <sergio () serjux ! com>
Date:       2023-11-22 22:44:37

On Wed, 2023-11-22 at 20:40 +0100, Miro HronÄok wrote:
> The communication channels

yeah , I had to go back to IRC if I want to communicate with certain
groups.
We went to Matrix because there was a bridge with IRC, but many people
didn't switch from IRC, the bridge collapsed and now we have half the
people on one side and half on the other ...

https://matrix.org/blog/2023/08/libera-bridge-disabled/

Thank you Miro for all the work

Another though , IMO,  we should rethink the packaging rules, I have
always defended, we should avoid the excessive number of packages for
the same software and pack it all in one.
A simple example is rpkg , rpkg-utils , fedpkg and centospkg . I think
it should be one package or two and at most with several sub-packages.
Now, argue to me, that as they are different sources, they must be
different packages, when utils is one or two small files and doesn't
work without the main package rpkg. In my opinion, results in excessive
work without any benefit, just to comply with a rule or a guideline.

Other example , for example is kmodtools and akmods , one doesn't work
without the other, why we should pack 2 packages, do 2 commits , 2 push
, 2 builds , 2 updates etc etc . and guarantee that versions match ! I
don't see any benefit .

Best regards,
--
Sérgio M. B.