List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: F40 Change Proposal: KDE Plasma 6 (System Wide)
From:       Kevin Kofler via devel <devel () lists ! fedoraproject ! org>
Date:       2023-09-26 17:17:52

Neal Gompa wrote:
> To summarize: there's no such thing as a "good" time to do it, and the
> SIG feels that doing it at the Plasma 6.0 major version upgrade allows
> us to reset expectations, as users are used to major versions being
> significantly different than their predecessors. Otherwise, we have to
> do it sometime later in the middle of the Plasma 6.x lifetime, which
> was much less appealing.

I doubt Wayland will be a fully functional replacement for X11 even by the
time Plasma 7 will be released. Surely not in the 6.x lifetime.

> The discussion on this thread has been mostly quite helpful, and has
> allowed me to provide feedback to KDE developers on prioritizing
> things for Plasma 6 development[2].

Unfortunately, you are only cherry-picking individual issues people have
found with Wayland (and it is very unlikely they will all be addressed in
time for F40, as some are quite fundamental and/or require several separate
codebases to be updated in lockstep) and completely ignoring the general
opposition to dropping X11 to begin with.

        Kevin Kofler