List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: F39 Change Proposal: Enable fwupd-refresh.timer by default on IoT, CoreOS & Server Editions (Sel
From:       Vít_Ondruch <vondruch () redhat ! com>
Date:       2023-07-27 11:27:00

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

[Attachment #4 (text/plain)]

Dne 26. 07. 23 v 21:11 Björn Persson napsal(a):
> Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:
>> On 26/07/2023 11:04, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
>>> You could, for example, buy a supported Logitech
>>> Receiver
>> I don't recommend anyone to buy this proprietary hardware:
> For years I tried to use Bluetooth mice, thinking a standard would be
> preferable over a proprietary protocol. But Bluetooth never worked well
> for me.

For years, I am using MS IntelliMouse Explorer for BT, which might be
already ~15 years old and the only problem I remember is that once, I
have forgotten that the mouse does not need to be paired so I struggled
to install it. Other then that, no issues at all.

Vít

>   It's not just mice. Everything I've tried to do with Bluetooth
> has been unstable and unreliable. Eventually I gave up and concluded
> that Bluetooth in Fedora is not a thing to rely on. The mice I've used
> that connect to Logitech dongles have always been responsive and never
> had any connection problems.
>
> Mouse cables get in my way and disturb my work. As long as GUIs and web
> programs require a mouse, I need a wireless mouse. Since Bluetooth is
> out, Logitech is it.
>
> I'd never use a wireless keyboard though. Whether Bluetooth or Logitech,
> I'm not going to type passphrases over some iffy radio protocol using a
> random number generator of unknown quality.
>
> Alexander Ploumistos wrote:
>> And thanks to fwupd and Logitech's embracing it, we had the fix in a
>> very short time.
> I never knew about it until now, because nothing notified me that a
> firmware update was available. I have now enabled fwupd-refresh.timer.
> I seem to get notifications only in SSH, not on the console, but that's
> something at least. If it had been on by default, then it would probably
> have been less than four years before I found out about those
> vulnerabilities.
>
> If the firmware files are properly authenticated, then I think
> notifications about firmware updates should be enabled on all
> installations.
>
> Björn Persson

["OpenPGP_signature.asc" (application/pgp-signature)]