List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Restricting automounting of uncommon filesystems?
From:       "Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones () redhat ! com>
Date:       2023-07-24 14:47:16

On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 10:08:50AM -0400, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
> I saw that libguestfs has a guestmount(1) tool, and I think this could be
> a potential solution.  An exploit against the kernel FS driver would only
> grant access to a KVM guest, and the QEMU process can be tightly sandboxed
> by means such as seccomp and SELinux.

Right.  guestmount does however use an unholy combination of FUSE and
proxying requests through the KVM guest so this wouldn't be very fast :-/

There's a native API which is much faster, which might be used by gvfs
(or whatever the gnome abstract filesystem thing is called).  I think
that would allow GNOME's file manager to work, and would be a lot
faster.

Rich.