List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Restricting automounting of uncommon filesystems?
From:       Matthew Garrett <mjg59 () srcf ! ucam ! org>
Date:       2023-07-22 23:05:11

On Sat, Jul 22, 2023 at 10:32:01AM +0200, drago01 wrote:

> Which file systems are considered uncommon in that context? And aren't most
> attacks based on file systems used by windows, which makes them "common" ?
> (Extfat, NTFS, VFAT)

Any attack here is going to be OS-specific - a vulnerability in a
filesystem used by Windows is massively unlikely to be present in Linux.
If your goal is to compromise a Linux device then the attack surface
available to you (right now) is everything that's present in Linux. For
removable devices I'd argue that anything other than exfat and vfat are
probably uncommon, but could be convinced that ext4 and xfs made sense
as well (and maybe ntfs since I assume some people do want to transfer
data on USB hard drives)