List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: F38 proposal: Rpmautospec by Default (System-Wide Change proposal)
From:       Miro_Hrončok <mhroncok () redhat ! com>
Date:       2023-01-10 17:47:43

On 10. 01. 23 13:52, Richard Shaw wrote:
>     Second, how exactly are you building the package?
>     Looking at [1], you used "Source Type: SRPM or .spec file upload".
>     How was it generated?
>
>     [1] https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/hobbes1069/OIIO/build/5210045/
>     <https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/hobbes1069/OIIO/build/5210045/>
>
>     Both 'fedpkg srpm' and uploading that to copr, and letting copr build from
>     dist-git should result in the expected release. (Though without other steps
>     it'll still be the same as the version in Fedora release, so you'll need
>     to tell dnf to install that specific build.)
>

> Looks like the problem is using `rpkg` but that's the easiest method and has
> worked great until now...

For the record I've reported several issues with the rpkg method over the
years. The distgit method was partially a response for those. tl;dr rpkg "works
great" until it doesn't because it does not work like fedpkg, but instead it is
a pre-processor for templated spec files that happens to work in most of the
cases with bare spec files as well.

Examples:

https://pagure.io/copr/copr/issue/1703
https://pagure.io/copr/copr/issue/798