List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Looking for advice - ffmpeg-free and wf-recorder
From:       Bob Hepple <bob.hepple () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-12-18 0:48:36

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Thanks to all of you for the helpful hints!

I will release in f37 too as suggested - I understand that I can only
retire from rpmfusion in rawhide/f38, but I guess that's OK.

libvpx-vp9 does indeed work in both ffmpegs - the only downside is that it
takes >25s to terminate on SIGINT ^C (the normal way to stop wf-recorder).
Many users will grow impatient and use pkill/SIGTERM and get a corrupt mp4
file - I certainly did at first. Not the best experience. I have taken this
up with upstream.

libvpx (vp8) does not work at all - again, maybe an upstream issue.

So I don't have an ideal codec candidate that I am quite happy to unleash
on the world at the moment - upstream may give me a clue.

Or should I just go ahead with libvpx-vp9?

Cheers

Bob

On Sat, 17 Dec 2022 at 20:44, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 17, 2022 at 12:29 AM Bob Hepple <bob.hepple@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I am the packager for wf-recorder (a wl-roots/wayland screen recorder)
> which presently resides in rpmfusion - it uses proprietary ffmpeg codecs =
by
> default (libx246).
> >
> > Now that we have ffmpeg-free we have an opportunity to move wf-recorder
> to the mainstream and change the default codec to the non-proprietary
> libopenh264. This woud be in rawhide/f38 and on.
> >
> > This all works fine in testing on f37. The fly in the ointment is that
> if ffmpeg/rpmfusion is installed in place of ffmpeg-free, then wf-recorde=
> can no longer access libopenh264 and fails with an error. There is a
> workaround in the use of the option -c libx264.
> >
> > Several solutions occur to me and I'm looking for guidance on which pat=
> to take:
> >
> > 0. leave wf-recorder where it is, in rpmfusion as in f37 and earlier.
> > A. compile wf-recorder as shipped by upstream with the default libx264 =
-
> the '-c libopenh264' workaround would be needed if ffmpeg-free is
> installed. This annoys users who install stock fedora.
> > B. compile wf-recorder with libopenh264 as the default - the '-c
> libx264' workaround would be needed if ffmpeg/rpmfusion is installed and
> would annoy those users.
> > C. leave wf-recorder in rpmfusion and create a wf-recorder-free package
> by analogy to ffmpeg (this might be obscure as it's not likely to get muc=
> publicity - and annoy everyone sooner or later)
> > D. the best option might be to choose a codec common to both ffmpeg and
> ffmpeg-free. I'm not terribly au fait with the various codecs so which
> would I choose? These codecs appear to be in both packages:
> >

> I suggest going with option D, and my suggestion is libvpx-vp9.
>
> libvpx-vp9 is common to both and reasonably fast. I made a similar
> change to O3DE some time ago for similar reasons:
>
> https://github.com/o3de/o3de/commit/add4ad4ad42fe36b04e80b3ee4ab2358fe5fd=
35e

> --
> =E7=9C=9F=E5=AE=9F=E3=81=AF=E3=81=84=E3=81=A4=E3=82=82=E4=B8=80=E3=81=A4=
=EF=BC=81/ Always, there's only one truth!