List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Small rant: installer environment size
From:       Demi Marie Obenour <demiobenour () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-12-09 23:47:29

On 12/8/22 07:31, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> Tomáš Popela wrote:
>> firefox, because that's what the web based installer should/will use in
>> the end
>
> 🤦 A full-blown, 71 MB compressed (!) web browser just to show the UI for the
> installer!
>
> IMHO, the web-based UI is a major mistake and should never be shipped in
> Fedora. It is good as a prototype, but way too resource-heavy to be shipped
> in production. We need a rewrite of the UI design in a desktop toolkit. (If
> GTK is not suitable, how about Qt? ☺)

I wholeheartedly agree.  Not only because of resource consumption, but also
because of the total disaster that is the NPM ecosystem.  Do they really plan
on building each and every Node module from the ACTUAL source code?  What
‘npm install' puts in node_modules is often NOT actual source code, but rather
minified or transpiled in some way.  Using a desktop toolkit would be far FAR
better.
--
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)