List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: F37 proposal: Add -fno-omit-frame-pointer to default compilation flags (System-Wide Change propo
From:       Neal Gompa <ngompa13 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-11-22 12:10:34

On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 6:54 AM Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com> wrote:

> Why isn't this something that is up to the toolchain team to decide?

The toolchain team doesn't work with the full corpus of packages,
doesn't really interface with most of the packagers, and doesn't work
with most of the upstreams that make up Fedora. So by that definition,
the toolchain team can't decide either.

> What makes FESCo more qualified than the toolchain maintainers to
> determine the best approach for Fedora?

Neither FESCo nor the toolchain maintainers alone are qualified to
make value judgements for settings across the whole distribution.
FESCo's job is to resolve the concerns of multiple stakeholders so
that the community can move forward. We may, from time to time,
actually have experts or folks with expertise in these fields, but
that's not specifically required (as you know). But this is why we
solicit feedback from experts as we need to, request information, and
sometimes even punt on deciding things until we have more confidence.

Fundamentally, we are trusted to sort out the data, the rhetoric, and
the value proposition of every Change and try to make a decent call on
what to do. Not everyone will always be happy with what we say, but
we're trying our best to make the best calls we can.

It's very easy to make decisions in isolation, it's quite a bit harder
when you're thinking of all the stakeholders.