List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: F37 proposal: Add -fno-omit-frame-pointer to default compilation flags (System-Wide Change propo
From:       Naheem Zaffar <naheemzaffar () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-11-12 19:16:29

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

> > what is the impact of the proposed change on non-x86 platforms? I
> > assume the proposal focuses on x86, but the distro wide flags are shared
> > across all platforms in Fedora, it means aarch64, ppc64le and s390x.
> > With RISC-V waiting behind the door ...
>
> None, because this proposal is not going to be implemented.

AFAIK none, but not for that reason: it seems to already be implemented and
part of the aarch64 abi. It would be helpfulmfornthe change request to
confirm this.

For the python code, also none because it will also be implemented as
default via upstream in python 3.12 and thus coming to fedora even without
this change request.

So the situation will be that the slowest mainstream arch and the slowest
mainstream code on all arches will have frame pointers enabled, but not on
the fastest arch for the fastest code.