List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: F37 proposal: Add -fno-omit-frame-pointer to default compilation flags (System-Wide Change propo
From:       Naheem Zaffar <naheemzaffar () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-11-09 4:26:23

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Tue, 8 Nov 2022, 19:22 Vitaly Zaitsev via devel, <
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On 08/11/2022 19:53, Naheem Zaffar wrote:
> > Has there been any consideration to turn on frame pointers for atleast
> > dev releases?
>

> Fedora has no dev releases. Mass rebuild is a huge pain for maintainers
> due to FTBFS issues, and doing it multiple times is unacceptable.

I think I explained the idea poorly.

Not all builds in rawhide are release builds. You will get for instance the
whole gnome stack beta releases and rc releases during development.

This isnt limited to gnome, most software will go into rawhide first to
stabilise.

It is almost never intended for these builds to end up in the final
release  ll, but they are useful and necessary parts of the development
cycle. Theywill be replaced before general availability, all without a mass
rebuild.

It's not a silver bullet solution but atleast it starts things off on a
path where profiling can be done in a limited manner compared to the other
proposed alternatives where the tooling doesnt exist and will likely not
ever be written.