List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: F37 proposal: Add -fno-omit-frame-pointer to default compilation flags (System-Wide Change propo
From:       Daniel =?utf-8?B?UC4gQmVycmFuZ8Op?= <berrange () redhat ! com>
Date:       2022-11-08 19:12:52

On Tue, Nov 08, 2022 at 06:53:46PM +0000, Naheem Zaffar wrote:
> Has there been any consideration to turn on frame pointers for atleast dev
> releases?
>
> AFAIK the kernel already has a separate configuration during the
> development phase of the distro-cycle

This practice already causes problems for people trying to use rawhide
because the debug config options massively slowdown the rawhide kernel
resulting in timeouts for various test/build processes:

  https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/HRJT4UF35MRJ7C4ZXVHBFXB4BTW64YSO/#ZPU2TZ72D5SP7I4AVTBV2NXXBEBQ7HD6

> Can this be extended for rebuilds of alpha and beta releases in rawhide to
> turn on frame pointers as an interim solution until everything else is
> figured out?

IMHO if something isn't good enough for release, we shouldn't put
it in rawhide either, as it undermines the usability of rawhide.

With regards,
Daniel