List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: future of dual booting Windows and Fedora, redux
From:       "Chris Murphy" <lists () colorremedies ! com>
Date:       2022-07-29 13:46:16

On Fri, Jul 29, 2022, at 9:29 AM, Philipp Homann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> haven't read all the posts, maybe this was mentioned in one of them.
>
> What about an EFI binary, which sets the next boot entry and initiates
> a reboot?
> This can be loaded by grub with the next boot device as parameter,
> which can be dynamically set on grub config generation.
> Or even as a BLS entry.

I guess GRUB could chainload this EFI program. The EFI program looks for the \
"Windows" boot entry in NVRAM and sets it as bootnext, then reboots the system.

Of course this EFI binary would need to be signed with an appropriate Fedora CA for \
UEFI Secure Boot.

I don't know if making this a standlone EFI program really accelerates getting it \
ready to deploy, compared to just making it  a GRUB module.

--
Chris Murphy