List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: future of dual booting Windows and Fedora, redux
From:       Daniel =?utf-8?B?UC4gQmVycmFuZ8Op?= <berrange () redhat ! com>
Date:       2022-07-29 9:55:07

On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 07:47:15PM +0200, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:
> On 26/07/2022 20:05, Chris Murphy wrote:
> > of the box with the encryption key sealed in the TPM. Two different issues \
> > result:
>
> Microsoft has published a new security bulletin on the current state of
> Secure Boot:
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/information-protection/secure-the-windows-10-boot-process
>
> The most important note:
>
> > Secured-core PCs require Secure Boot to be enabled and configured to distrust the \
> > Microsoft 3rd Party UEFI CA signature, by default, to provide customers with the \
> > most secure configuration of their PCs possible.
>
> TL;DR. The new certified by Microsoft devices will be able to load only
> Microsoft Windows in the UEFI Secure Boot enabled mode.

I read that as meaning there are two different certifications

  * "Certified For Windows PCs"  - the traditional behaviour we've known,
    where the 3rd party UEFI CA  is enabled by defualt

  * "Secured-core PCs" - a new certification promoted as a more secure
    out of the box setup, where 3rd party UEFI CA is disabled by default

This doesn't mean that everything is suddenly going to be 'Secure-cored"
and thus prevent use of shim out of the box.

This other doc gives more details

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/OEM-highly-secure-11

[quote]
Microsoft works closely with OEM partners to help ensure that all certified
Windows systems deliver a secure operating environment. Windows integrates
closely with the hardware to deliver protections that take advantage of
available hardware capabilities:

   * Baseline Windows security – recommended baseline for all individual
     systems that provides foundational system integrity protections.
     Leverages TPM 2.0 for a hardware root of trust, secure boot and
     BitLocker drive encryption.
   * Virtualization-based security enabled – leverages virtualization
     capabilities from hardware and the hypervisor to provide additional
     protection for critical subsystems and data.
   * Secured-core – recommended for the most sensitive systems and
     industries like financial, healthcare, and government agencies.
     Builds on the previous layers and leverages advanced processor
     capabilities to provide protection from firmware attacks.
[/quote]

An open question is just how widely the OEM hardware vendors will
deploy "Secured core" hardware in practice. If they only do this
for enterprise hardware they sell with Windows pre-installed, then
it might not become a big deal, as those running Linux will typically
opt out of Windows pre-install. If they deploy 'Secured core' across
all hardware, both consumer and enterprise, and/or regardless of OS
preinstall choice, then it will become more of a pain for consumers
wanting to run Linux.

With regards,
Daniel