List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: future of dual booting Windows and Fedora, redux
From:       Kamil Paral <kparal () redhat ! com>
Date:       2022-07-29 8:38:10

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 6:52 PM Chris Murphy <lists@colorremedies.com>
wrote:

> Short term approaches:
>
> - Documentation: GRUB's Windows boot option may not work, how to use
> efibootmgr --bootnext and --bootorder

Currently there is this (insufficient, of course):
https://ask.fedoraproject.org/t/windows-with-encrypted-disks-bitlocker-cant-be-booted-from-the-grub-boot-menu/20612

I'd like to see some proper guide available in Fedora Docs/Quick Docs/wiki
that I could reference from that Common Issue entry.

> In the near term, we're looking at an awareness and documentation effort,
> while seeing how the other options shake out. And it probably doesn't
> significantly matter whether we change the release criterion now or also
> wait a bit longer.

We can change the criterion shortly before Final, if needed. Since we
expect the situation to improve in the future, we could just add a
(temporary) footnote to the existing criterion saying that the special case
of Windows partitions encrypted by Bitlocker are exempt from the
requirement (of booting Windows from GRUB).