List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: F37 Change Proposal: Unfiltered Flathub (System-Wide Change)
From:       Richard Hughes <hughsient () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-06-30 11:27:02

On Thu, 30 Jun 2022 at 10:41, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
<dominik@greysector.net> wrote:
> ... *when* they are sandboxed ...
> Unfortunately, in many cases, they aren't.

I don't think that "some apps have lots of holes punched in the
sandbox, but can be locked down easily using a GUI tool, where the
majority are indeed locked down" can reasonably be compared to the
distro packages that are never run in sandboxes and cannot be locked
down in the same way. By that logic we should remove all distro
applications because they can't be locked down or sandboxed by the
user in any meaningful way.

As the person who's been driving AppStream to make desktop
applications easier to install on Linux for the last decade (!) I can
tell you that flatpaks are in almost all cases what users should be
using. By any metric (e.g. live updates, portals, sandboxing,
per-user/per-system) they blow apps-as-packages out of the water. Use
packaged versions of your apps if you want to, but please don't veto a
feature that 99.99% of Fedora users categorically should be using.

Richard