List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: F37 proposal: Build all JDKs in Fedora against in-tree libraries and with static stdc++lib (Syst
From:       Stephen Smoogen <ssmoogen () redhat ! com>
Date:       2022-05-26 15:06:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Thu, 26 May 2022 at 08:19, Stephen Snow <s40w5s@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2022-05-26 at 12:55 +0200, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:
> > On 26/05/2022 00:02, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
> > > IANAL, but I believe APIs are not eligible for
> > > trademark protection, so Fedora would only need to change the stuff
> > > that is*not*  part of the API.
> >
> > Yes. Google won a lawsuit against Oracle in the Supreme Court.
> >
> What law suit, and how does it apply to our situation?

The only lawsuit I know of is
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_LLC_v._Oracle_America,_Inc. where
while Google 'won' parts, many issues have been remanded back to a lower
court and are still outstanding. [This means that they could still be
interpreted as a win for Oracle on narrower bands.] It is unclear enough
that various groups have had different interpretations. That said there are
several trademark lawsuits on the usage of 'coffee-themed-languages' which
have been posted in the past by Oracle ranging from Starbucks to various
smaller software companies. Trademark and copyright sound like they are the
same thing but they are different parts of the law and can 'override' one
another in different ways.

In any case, I think this needs an official review by the Fedora Council:
0. Are the outside requirements on how 'coffee-themed languages' must be
published making them non-Free/Open in the way Fedora Project expects
things to be?
1. What are the legal concerns that the Fedora Project must do to
distribute OpenJDK?
2. Are there ways that a non-TCK compliant version could be distributed?
3. Clearer guidance to the volunteers on how to deal with these
requirements.

These are deeper issues which I think need to be dealt with before we can
even think about the F37 change proposal.

--
Stephen Smoogen, Red Hat Automotive
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.