List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    OpenJDK Changed in Fedora
From:       Mario Torre <neugens () redhat ! com>
Date:       2021-10-29 12:33:11

Hi Everyone,

We are working on moving OpenJDK 17 as the system runtime for Fedora:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Java17

Since, like last time we did something similar, the change may have a
somewhat large impact, especially on other packages, we would like to
collect some feedback about the prospective timeline.

Right now we are thinking about targeting Fedora 36, that is one
release after the next, for this change to be effective, we can delay
to 37 if it's considered a problem however (although I think most of
us want to have 17 as soon as possible!).

Of course, 8 and 11 aren't going away for now, they will still be
around and maintained, this impacts the system default packages
however and the detaulf provides for java and java-devel.

I added Jiri in CC for questions.

Cheers,
Mario
--
Mario Torre
Manager, Software Engineering, core OpenJDK