List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Fedora minimum hardware requirements
From:       Marius Schwarz <fedoradev () cloud-foo ! de>
Date:       2021-10-19 8:57:53

Am 17.10.21 um 22:31 schrieb Robby Callicotte via devel:
> On Sunday, October 17, 2021 3:05:13 PM CDT Dan Čermák wrote:
>> They are also much more intuitive to use for your average user/ newcomer
>> to Linux in contrast to a text interface (which will put them off when
>> compared to the Windows or Ubuntu installer). Yes, a text interface is
>> much more resource friendly, but imho that will cause more harm than
>> actual benefit.
> I totally agree.  If presented with only a text interface, I believe that new
> Linux users would perceive the install experience as either too daunting or
> not up to par with other distros.

I think the real reason of my posting got out of sight:

it's not about how big the Installation Medium aka. iso-file is,
it's how much stuff lands on the disk after the os is installed.

Of course Fedora primary target is the desktop PC with lots of diskspace
and ressources.

In case of the IoT mobility fraction, diskspace is limited and a 20 GB
os is not desireable nor really useable on a phone.

i.E. all of the firmwarefiles are unneeded, no grub, no uefi, no
printersupport, no wacom-artpadsupport, no colormanagementdemons,
and a lot of nice apps for a desktop, but not so practical on a phone
i.e. Rythembox are not even the worst things. A "du -sh" showed a huge
lot of libs on the system /usr was 2.5g alone.  All those icons sets,
fonts etc.etc. took a lot of space.  journald has no default maxsize,
and it does not really help, when pkcon generates it's on caches besides
DNF ones.

The mobility has thrown out a lot of packages we don't need here, but
thats only a fraction of what could go IMHO. Some folks helped to
identify unneeded packages, but a real mininal image in sense of used
diskspace, is something else, I think .

IF, like in the dark ages of linux, a list exists of "needed for the os
to run" and "os can function without it" would exist, we could throw out
so much more.

ATM, i still see a long way to go for Linux on Phones, but Android
didn't do it overnight either.

best regards,
Marius Schwarz