List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Fedora minimum hardware requirements
From:       JT <jt () obs-sec ! com>
Date:       2021-10-17 22:43:45

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

I think an important question we should ask is who is the target user we're
thinking about when we consider 'recommendations'. I used to have a pretty
clear picture of what 'recommended/required' meant, and then I did some
charity/volunteer work in Namibia back in the early 2000s and realized that
what I'd consider less than useful hardware, was to some people their daily
driver. I was so used to multitasking that I never even considered that to
some that it was a luxury.  That's quite different these days as there's
been almost 20 years of development since then, but there are plenty of
people out there still using hardware that we wouldnt consider using
because we have options. That's one of the reasons I initially got involved
in PuppyLinux back then. Having seen what people outside of the 1st world
country were using and what they had available to them... was rather eye
opening.
Now, to be clear, I'm not suggesting we target those
geographic/demographies over every other. But I dont have a really clear
picture of who we're making the recommendations to. Are we primarily
focusing on 1st world users?  Nothing necessarily wrong if that's who we're
targeting Workstation for, but I'm not actually sure.
I know about a decade ago I pitched an idea to Matthew in some email, while
scheduling him for an interview on LAS, about making a version of Fedora
specifically focused on older hardware exactly for those users, but I
didn't have the time to really commit to figuring out what would/wouldn't
work for it... so it never went anywhere.  One of these days I should
actually commit to that.
But back on point... who is our expected 'Workstation' user?