List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: F35 Change: "Fedora Linux" in /etc/os-release
From:       Kevin Kofler via devel <devel () lists ! fedoraproject ! org>
Date:       2021-03-13 13:10:28

Gerald Henriksen wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 11:21:18 -0500, you wrote:
>
>>I would put it this way: this change _helps recognize_ that Fedora is more
>>than its main product. This isn't new; EPEL has been part of Fedora since
>>the beginning, and CoreOS has been since it replaced Project Atomic.
>
> You want this change to do that, it will fail to do that.
>
> You aren't going to change not just the 15+ year habits of how people
> refer to Fedora, but the even longer habits of how people call Linux
> distributions.
>
> Regardless of what their official titles are the public all refer to
> them by their simple names - Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, Suse, Red Hat,
> Centos, etc.

In addition, "Fedora Linux" is no better than "Fedora" at distinguishing it
from CoreOS, which is also "Linux" (actually, a GNU/Linux distribution like
Fedora), or EPEL, which sits on top of Red Hat Enterprise *Linux*. Adding
"Linux" to the name of the main product does nothing to differentiate it
from the other products.

        Kevin Kofler