List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: F35 Change: "Fedora Linux" in /etc/os-release
From:       Matthew Miller <mattdm () fedoraproject ! org>
Date:       2021-03-11 16:21:18

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 01:38:13PM +0100, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> 3. I think this changes defocuses the Fedora Project from its main product
> (the GNU/Linux distribution) and will ultimately hurts its users (i.e., most
> of us on this mailing list). It is going to turn "Fedora Linux" into just
> one product next to EPEL (or "Fedora EPEL" as some people already call it,
> and your proposal will make that more common), Silverblue (or "Fedora
> Silverblue"), etc. This implies a focus shift that will divert resources
> away from the GNU/Linux distribution we use towards:
> * RHEL and derived distributions, through EPEL (and ELN etc.),
> * technology experiments such as CoreOS or Silverblue,
> etc.
> I would rather see Fedora focus on its main product again.

I would put it this way: this change _helps recognize_ that Fedora is more
than its main product. This isn't new; EPEL has been part of Fedora since
the beginning, and CoreOS has been since it replaced Project Atomic.

However, I completely disagree on the impact of this in terms of resources
and impact on users. Making Fedora bigger and able to address more needs
isn't a zero-sum game. It brings in more resources that ultimately benefit
everything, absolutely including the primary distribution. This isn't
opinion, either — I absolutely know it to be true.

So, while I register that you diagree, I think the underlying facts actually
are that this point strongly _supports_ what I'm going for here.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@fedoraproject.org>