List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: F35 Change: "Fedora Linux" in /etc/os-release
From:       "Vladislav " <vpackager () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-03-11 7:02:23

Sorry for being not constructive. I'll try to explain my point of view.

> Where are you seeing huge misunderstandings?
In Fedora and other Linux communities (not eng, btw).

> What misunderstandings are there?
To my surprise, I saw how a person who perfectly knows the difference between Fedora \
Project and Fedora Linux distro, after reading the news about the renaming, only got \
confused in the difference.

In discussions on news portals, I see that people do not understand the purpose of \
renaming. They discuss things like Linux vs GNU/Linux and Fedora distro vs Fedora \
Workstation (what?).

This noise around does not contribute in any way to achive the main goal.

> Are these misunderstandings the sole reason that your opinion is that
> it's better to call the distribution just "Fedora", or are there other
> reasons?
There are few other reasons, of course.

1. Usually when I hear "Fedora", it is about Linux distro and it always clear from \
context.  When it comes to EPEL, ELN and other things, most often other words are \
used (such as Fedora Project or Fedora EPEL). The difference can be understood from \
context anyway.

2. "Fedora" and "Fedora Linux" are understood and will be understood in the same way.
People who are confused now will not stop confusing after renaming.

3. People will not stop talking "Fedora" instead of "Fedora Linux".
There was a very good example about universuty renaming.
Another example:
2001 - Mac OS X, 2012 - OS X, 2016 - MacOS.
Apple returned to its roots, because many people did not even know that the correct \
name is OS X (and not Mac OS). And this despite the fact that they wrote everywhere \
OS X.

4. "Fedora" just nicer and simplier.
Will "getfedora.org" be renamed to "getfedoralinux.org"?
The devil is in the details here: general perception depends on little "nice and \
simple" things.

> How would you address my concerns about messaging for
> not-the-main-distro parts of the Fedora Project overall?
I respect your concerns. But I think (and all my message about it) that renaming will \
not help. I have nothing against renaming by itself, but think it isn't really needed \
(according to Occam's razor).

Initially, I did not want to discuss this at all, but after one incident with me in \
one of the Fedora-specific communities, I am now here and I am writing this.

P. S. I'm new to the Fedora community. So I try to look at the problem from the \
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines