List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: New memory tester application potentially to replace memtest86+: PCMemTest
From:       Vít_Ondruch <vondruch () redhat ! com>
Date:       2021-02-09 8:53:21

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

[Attachment #4 (multipart/mixed)]

Dne 08. 02. 21 v 21:44 Chris Murphy napsal(a):
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 2:46 AM Vít Ondruch <vondruch@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Being devils advocate, but should we have the memtest86 or similar by
>> default? I have certainly not used this feature in my 10+ yeas with Fedora.
>>
> You mean get rid of it (from media and installations)?

Yes, that is my proposal.

>   Because we
> install it unconditionally already, even though it's a BIOS only
> utility and there isn't a boot entry for it in the bootloader.
>
> It's a bit obscure how to use it, given there's no menu entry for it.

Ah, good to know that I have it on my system. I'm going to remove it
right now.

I don't think this is utility, which is targets typical Fedora user.
Here is PR proposing the removal:

https://pagure.io/fedora-kickstarts/pull-request/754

Vít

["OpenPGP_signature.asc" (application/pgp-signature)]