List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: F34 Change proposal: Wayland by Default for KDE Plasma Desktop (System-Wide Change)
From:       "Gerald B. Cox" <gbcox () bzb ! us>
Date:       2020-12-28 20:51:05

I really don't see we have much of a choice here.  X11 is eventually going away and Wayland is the path forward.  That's already been decided, so at this point it isn't a matter for debate.  Human nature being what it is, people tend to procrastinate and not do anything until pressed up against a deadline - so here we are.  Wayland has been discussed for over a decade now, so this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.  I've been opening bugs whenever I see issues, so upstream, packagers and end users are aware of the issue.  If I know of a workaround or alternative that works, I list it.  There is currently an open issue with a black screen and SDDM in conjunction with Radeon graphics.  In my opinion, if this isn't resolved, we should switch to GDM rather than delay making Wayland the default.  If a particular application doesn't work in Wayland, we should advise people of alternatives rather than holding this change hostage.  I've seen great improvements between 5.19 and 5.20 - and 5.2
 1 promises more.  So if you haven't tried wayland and plasma lately - you should try again.

If you notice issues, please open bugs.