List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: F34 Change proposal: Wayland by Default for KDE Plasma Desktop (System-Wide Change)
From:       Sérgio Basto <sergio () serjux ! com>
Date:       2020-12-28 10:54:25

On Mon, 2020-09-14 at 00:46 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Ben Cotton wrote:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/WaylandByDefaultForPlasma
> >
> > == Summary ==
> > Change the default session selection in SDDM to prefer the
> > Wayland-based KDE Plasma Desktop session over the X11-based one.
> >
> > == Owner ==
> > * Name: [[User:Ngompa|Neal Gompa]], [[User:Rdieter|Rex Dieter]],
> > [[User:Jgrulich|Jan Grulich]]
> > * Email: ngompa13@gmail.com, rdieter@gmail.com, jgrulich@redhat.com
> > * Product: KDE Spin
> > * Responsible WG: KDE SIG
> >
> > == Detailed Description ==
> >
> > With KDE Plasma 5.20, the KDE Plasma desktop environment has
> > reached a
> > point where nearly all commonly used features in the desktop and
> > all
> > major applications function in the Plasma Wayland environment on
> > all
> > major GPUs (including NVIDIA with the proprietary driver). Starting
> > with Plasma 5.20 in Fedora 34, we will change the default
> > configuration for Wayland and X11 Plasma sessions so that Wayland
> > is
> > preferred and used by default, while permitting the X11 session to
> > be
> > selected as the alternative desktop environment option.
>
> I do not think that Plasma on Wayland is ready for production use at
> this
> time. E.g., middle-click paste support is still incomplete:
> interoperability
> of the feature with X11 and GTK applications is not working yet.
> (X11
> because the XWayland parts of the middle-click feature are not yet
> implemented in KWin-Wayland, GTK because KWin supports only the
> final
> standardized version of the extension whereas GTK apparently still
> only
> implements its own pre-standard version with a differently-named
> namespace.)
> I believe that there are also other open issues with Plasma on
> Wayland.

Can we revert this decision, seems almost all the people have the same
opinion ... that Plasma on Wayland is not ready for production.
IMHO, try run it in wayland should be a optin .

We have been aware of the wayland induced issues for a couple of years.
The fedora kde/qt team are aware of the issues wayland causes and just
blame the apps.

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/kde@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/XTR7O3X2OSDBXRJBILL7B7NBAX3564EQ/#DJS7A2RWFIQSRJBV66M63QGJDJLKKEK5

Also, I'm against add workarounds on desktop files like this one [1]
forcing apps running with QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb , because is just hidden
the real problem.

Note upstream app developers can opt by not support wayland and
internally force use of X11, but we shouldn't do that on desktop files
because app could be called  by other method ...

[1]
https://pkgs.rpmfusion.org/cgit/free/shotcut.git/commit/?id=72db606a7e307e512124af3f8d3c27970b462996

https://pkgs.rpmfusion.org/cgit/free/shotcut.git/tree/Force_X.patch
--