List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: [ELN] gcc is going to be updated to gcc11 in the ELN buildroot ahead of Rawhide
From:       Jeff Law <law () redhat ! com>
Date:       2020-10-22 15:20:28

On 10/22/20 8:27 AM, Petr Pisar wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 08:10:02AM -0600, Jeff Law wrote:
>> I do think we need to make it easier for a Fedora package maintainer to
>> get the gcc-11 bits so that if there's a need to debug a bad interaction
>> between gcc-11 and a package they can.
>>
> gcc-11 was built into a side tag. Each build target has a repository in Koji.
> This one is
> <http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/repos/eln-build-side-32479/latest/$basearch>.
>
> If you worry about ELN-Fedora compatibility, create a new side tag intheriting
> from f34 and rebuilt gcc-11 there. Or build a module that anyone interested
> can enable on his system.

Sorry, I wasn't terribly clear.

So last year when I was testing gcc-10 against Fedora one of the
recurring issues we had was that if I needed input from a package
maintainer on an issue flagged by gcc-10 we had no good way for the
package maintainer to get gcc-10 rpms to do any investigation on their own.

With the gcc-11 side tag build and eventual landing in ELN that issue
should be much better.   So if I need to sync with a package maintainer
on an issue, we have a way to make that happen.

Of course, dropping gcc-11 into rawhide earlier helps this issue too :-)

Jeff