List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: new packager asks for help - packaging my first Python package
From:       Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler () chello ! at>
Date:       2020-10-18 13:34:38

Vojtěch Polášek wrote:
> I have some basics of RPM packaging, but I have not created a package
> from scratch yet. I would like to package one Python package called
> Tesserwrap. I used the pyp2rpm program to create a spec file. The file
> is here:
>
> https://fedorapeople.org/~vpolasek/tesserwrap.spec

The name of the specfile is incorrect. The file should be named
python-tesserwrap.spec, because the main Name: tag is python-tesserwrap, not
just tesserwrap.

Also please remove the stray "Docs: IRC: tesserwrap on Freenode" from the
%description sections. Especially the empty "Docs:" immediately (i.e.,
without any whitespace) following the '.' is garbage.

(Please note that this is NOT a complete formal review, I am just pointing
out the obvious issues that I notice immediately at first glance.)

Tools such as pyp2rpm are very helpful, but some amount of manual editing is
typically required on the output.

        Kevin Kofler