List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: maybe a path forward for java and modules? [was Re: The Future of the Java Stack (also regarding
From:       Jeff Fearn <jfearn () redhat ! com>
Date:       2020-09-17 21:42:56

On 18/9/20 03:43, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 01:30:26PM -0400, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> 'its broke'
>> 'yes I know its broke.. I just need the header files'
>> 'well I need it to work' 'well fix it yourself'
>> 'no that is your job.. it says you OWN THE PACKAGE'.
>> 'I just own it to build foobar'
>> 'too bad.. i am taking this to lwn/slashdot/twitter/reddit'
>
> Set the owner to an alias with an explanatory name, auto-reply to bugs and
> email with a bot message that explains the situation and links to more
> information for people who want to help. And then if that gets taken to LWN,
> *fine*.

IMO this should be done before the bug is created. You can set the
default bug description template for the component to a template with
this message in it.

It probably needs to be reflected in other UIs related to Fedora
packaging, so it should be tracked somewhere and when the fedora bot
updates the component details in Bugzilla it could change the default
description template to match the update policy.

There might have more than 2 states for this.

Cheers, Jeff.