List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: F34 Change: Reduce installation media size by improving the compression ratio of SquashFS filesy
From:       Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster () gmail ! com>
Date:       2020-09-16 0:30:30

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 11:47 PM Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@chello.at> wrote:

> There still exist connections as slow as 33 kbps.

And no doubt you can find people still using 300 baud
TI Silent 700 terminals.  However, the global internet
speed tests show that the numbers are much higher
on average, and we should consider the most common
numbers when making decisions, while realizing that
we will, in fact, be impacting those still in the the Silent
700 group, and will need to encourage them to share
physical media in those locations.

> Most end users will not notice their one-time installation being a couple
> minutes slower.

Some people download once, and install once.  For
those, it is pay me now, or pay me later, and it may
be a wash, time wise, depending on your download
speeds, but it is also just a one time thing in any
case.  Some people download once, and install lots
of times (in which case the install time may dominate).
There is no one size fits all.

FD: I am in the later group (download once, install on
many VMs/systems during the lifetime of a release),
so would likely prefer to see something like zstd gain
traction at some point, but that is a different discussion.