List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: [Test-Announce] Re: Fedora 33 Beta Go/No-Go and Release Readiness meetings
From:       "John M. Harris Jr" <johnmh () splentity ! com>
Date:       2020-09-14 4:42:51

On Friday, September 11, 2020 4:36:38 AM MST Björn Persson wrote:
> John M. Harris Jr wrote:
> > On Thursday, September 10, 2020 11:56:25 PM MST alciregi@posteo.net wrote:
> > > But systemd in Fedora is built to use
> > > FallbackNTPServers=0.fedora.pool.ntp.org 1.fedora.pool.ntp.org
> > > 2.fedora.pool.ntp.org 3.fedora.pool.ntp.org
> >
> > Sounds like a good change, which should be made for DNS as well.
>
> So where is a global pool of volunteer-provided DNS resolvers similar
> to pool.ntp.org? I've never heard of one, and I suspect it's not
> advisable to do that with DNS.

For DNS, I'm suggesting that "FallbackDNSServers=\n" should be added to the
configuration file. The only case where I can see no configured DNS servers
being populated with preset DNS servers would be when DHCP is used, in which
case, NetworkManager can be modified to include some logic for that.
Otherwise, the system is actively acting against the interests of the user.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.