List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Enable EarlyOOM on Fedora KDE - Fedora 33 Self-Contained Change proposal
From:       "Alexey Avramov" <hakavlad () gmail ! com>
Date:       2020-09-13 17:01:21

> If you actually tried to use the memory it says in MemAvailable, you
> may very well already get bad side effects as the kernel needs to
> reclaim memory used for other purposes (file caches, mmap'ed
> executables, heap, …). Depending on the workload, this may already
> cause the system to start thrashing.

memavaild[1] is yet another tool to improve responsiveness during heavy swapping. How \
it works: slices are swapped out when MemAvailable is low by reducing memory.max \
(values change dynamically). Effects: performance increases in tasks that requires \
heavy swapping, especially in io-bound tasks. At the same time, tasks are performed \
at less io and memory pressure. It may be used out of the box with any DE.

With combination of prelockd and memavaild GUI remains responsive with high memory \
and io pressure (pressure=85[2] with system and swap on HDD, I taked screenshot, GUI \
was not freezed). This proves that high memory pressure (by PSI) does not always \
correspond to system hang (psi-monitor uses mem pressure=10 as a thigger, for \
example).

[1] https://github.com/hakavlad/memavaild
[2] https://ibb.co/hKGy0bZ