List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: F34 Change: Reduce installation media size by improving the compression ratio of SquashFS filesy
From:       Chris Murphy <lists () colorremedies ! com>
Date:       2020-09-01 17:16:12

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 3:22 AM Frantisek Zatloukal <fzatlouk@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 5:16 PM Ben Cotton <bcotton@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/OptimizeSquashFS
> >
> > == Summary ==
> > Improve compression ratio of SquashFS filesystem on the installation media.
> >
> > == Owner ==
> > * Name: [[User:bkhomuts|Bohdan Khomutskyi]]
> > * Email: bkhomuts@redhat.com
> >

> I think we should aim for faster installations and lower cpu usage (zstd), not \
> smaller ISO size (xz).
> Saving 142 MBs isn't going to make a huge difference in download times (disclaimer: \
> I don't know how is the internet connection speed in other areas, I have not that \
> fast connection of 200mbps down (slowest possible in my area), so 142 MB saving \
> would make roughly 6 seconds difference myself).
> On the other hand, saving minutes in the installation process (as seen with zstd if \
> I am reading the numbers correctly) is not only going to help users with \
> installation times, but also us, Fedora QA, with faster testing, both manual and \
> automated (OpenQA).

I haven't benchmarked a physical USB stick, they vary so much in read
speeds these days. But it's possible to likely there's minimal gain in
performance from USB sticks, but for sure reduced CPU utilization
because zstd is just way more efficient than lzma when decompressing.

For VM's including openQA automated tests, I expect it will make a
difference. Zstd will be faster.

--
Chris Murphy