List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: systemd-resolved
From:       Florian Weimer <fweimer () redhat ! com>
Date:       2020-09-01 12:19:15

* John M. Harris, Jr.:

> Sure, those two companies will be thrilled, I'm sure. This is a huge
> disservice to our users. Why in the world does systemd try to force DNS
> servers when none are configured? If no DNS servers are configured, there
> should be no DNS servers in use.

Acutally, the historic default is to use localhost (127.0.0.1).  This is
what an empty or missing /etc/resolv.conf file has always meant.

(Okay, there was apparently a time when localhost could also be reached
at 0.0.0.0, and that was the default before 127.0.0.1.  But that likely
predates the Linux networking stack.)

Thanks,
Florian